Hua Ming was set up in 1996 by a group of parents with autistic children. It is a non-profit organisation focusing on providing special education, training and therapy for autistic children, as well as counseling to their parents. Being a non-profit organisation, Hua Ming depends on public donations to run its activities and every year it has to organise fund-raising events to meet its operating expenses.
In its teaching, training and treatment of children with autism, Hua Ming adopts the TEACCH programme (Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children) and ABA programme (Applied Behaviour Analysis) developed in the U.S.A.
The primary goal of these programmes is to help to prepare people with autism to live and work more effectively at home, at school and in the community. Special emphasis is placed on helping people with autism and their families to live together more effectively by reducing or removing autistic behaviours. Parents are trained to work with their children to mange behaviour problems and improve learning, social and language skills.
In near future, Hua Ming aims to promote public awareness and concern of autism by playing a proactive role in educating the public hoping that they will have better understanding and acceptance of people with autism. Hua Ming also plans to train and develop more teachers and trainers in the field of autism.
To provide specialized educational and consultancy services to autistic children and their parents, to improve the quality of lives of all affected by autism.
To be the centre of References in Malaysia on Autism related matters
- To foster understanding, care and training of Malaysians with autism.
- To promote assistance, advice and consultation to the families with autism in helping them to cope with the situation.
- To develop public awareness of autism and promote community involvement and support for the autistic people and their families
- To provide and maintain suitable premises and facilities for the caring, training, development and support of the autistic people
- To conduct research, discussions and counseling workshops aimed at education parents, teachers and others interested in working with autistic children in the form of treatment, education, social and behavioral development services.